24 October 2007

Fun 'n' games

My news to the world: I have joined the ranks of the two-wheeled!

Kellie finally did something rather rash and let me get a motorcycle. I was hopeing to have a couple of pics to post, but I guess those will come later. She's a fun little thing. Red curves, big headlights, and weighing in at a tad over 400 lbs dry, she got an engine that will go - 650cc, but she's tame enough for a beginer like me.

You know you're a dad when you start singing Baby Einstein songs while riding your bike on the way to a church meeting. "We're going on a trip in our favorite rocketship/Flying through the skies/Little Einsteins..." I had to shake my head and laugh at myself.

One of the wonderful things about riding the bike, especially in the early mornings, before traffic builds, is the opportunity to think. I don't have an iPod or any other way of listening to music or the radio while riding. No one to talk to but myself. All I hear is the roar of the motor and the hiss of the brakes. Freedom.

One of the reasons that I love snowboarding is because of the sense of freedom I feel. I am master of my course. I can choose nearly any way down the mountain. Some of my potential paths are more dangerous, but I can choose. Riding my bike gives me a similar feeling. Although I am constrained by traffic, laws, and the road; I feel free. Perhaps it is the wind blowing in my face. Or possibly the fact that I can romp on the throttle and burst up to speed at will. I haven't come close to pushing the engine to its limit; I've only pushed my skill.

I love my job. I love my family. I enjoy my calling and all of my other activities. However, I need the time to shut off all of my other concerns and get away. Only one thing to concentrate on. I think every person needs that. Getting a bit too philosophical now. Can't wait to ride...

2 comments:

Nettie! said...

That sounds fun, Paul! Will Kellie ever get to go for a ride with you?!

The blog looks great - so glad you started one!!

Paul said...

I only have a learner's permit right now. I'm not allowed to carry passengers, so Kellie can't ride with me yet.

I'll be taking a motorcycle safety class in December that also gets me a "real" motorcycle license.

We did bend the rules last Saturday. Our neighbor threw one of those murder mystery dinners. In my roll as the former school jock, I had to show up on my motorcycle. Kellie rode with me about two blocks. She was in her cheer outfit, so her legs froze.